Pages

Wednesday, November 11, 2009

Teaser Tuesday – NaNo novel excerpt

My NaNoWriMo novel suddenly changed from third to first person (I usually write in first, so not a shock). I also deleted one of the characters. Since NaNoWriMo is all about forging ahead and upping your word count, I decided not to go back and fix/change things. Instead, I just jumped in with the tense shift and wrote this bit to explain the character’s absence:

“It feels like we’re missing something, or someone.” said Lexa. “Didn’t we have another friend before?” 

“Before what?” I asked.

“Before this. Weren’t there three of us last night?” asked Lexa.

“Huh,” I said. “That sounds vaguely familiar. I think you might be right. Didn’t her name start with an I or something?”

“Yeah, I think you’re right.”

Lexa and I stared at each other for a while, trying to figure out who our missing mystery friend was. If we had been on a cartoon, they would have gone to a close up of our faces, then shown what was going on inside our heads. Tiny little hamsters running on wheels, around and around and around and never coming up with the answer to our question.

“I wonder what happened to her,” I said.

“Who?” asked Lexa.

“The girl we used to be friends with, the one whose name started with an I.”

“Good question. Maybe we’ll never know.”

Maybe plowing forward like this would be a good idea when not doing NaNo too. I love to go back and edit/re-edit so much that it’s hard to keep going sometimes. Plus this scene cracked my evil inner editor up so that he didn’t even mess with me. Anything that does that is worth trying again.

No comments:

Post a Comment