Pages

Thursday, April 30, 2009

14 wk novel, week 8: half way – check in and goals

We’ve been writing for seven weeks; today is the start of week eight. Which means, we’re half way there!

Goals for week #8: Take stock of where you are and how much you have left. What can you realistically get it done in the next 7 weeks (June 18 is the last day)? It’s ok if you don’t finish, as long as you are working towards your goals.

I’m going to plan out the next 7 weeks this weekend. I’m still hoping to be done by June 18, even though I’m behind right now due to other projects that have had earlier deadlines.

How is everyone else doing?

Exercise for this week: Now that you’ve been writing for 7 weeks, it’s time to ask a few questions. I’ve included some questions below, but feel free to ask your own questions. [Note: You may have asked a few of these questions already, but it can be helpful to ask them again when you’re in the middle to see if things have changed and where the story is going.]

* What’s the main quest that your MC is on and how is she going to achieve it?

* Does your story have a theme or a question it answers?

* What’s the emotional tone of your story?

* Is your MC someone that the reader can care about and identify with?

* Can the reader identify with what’s important to your MC?

* What’s your MC’s secret? Do you reveal this to the reader?

* Do you know the ending of your story yet? Is it the logical conclusion to your story? Is it plausible?

* How does your character grow and change in the story?


That’s it for this week. How are you all doing with your novels?

4 comments:

  1. These are great questions! I"ve dropped the ball w/ all the illness in my house this month, but I'm ready to get back on board. These questions will help!

    Thnx for posting!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I like the idea of keeping these questions in mind while writing. For my current WIP's MC, I can answer almost all of these questions but the most important one: what she really wants. I'm not sure she knows what this is either, but I now KNOW I should...

    ReplyDelete
  3. Ha! Just turned my full YA into my critique group.

    Now I'm back to my evil fairytale (because my kids insist on it)

    I love reading your posts about this...I hope your second half goes as well as the first!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Christy, hope everyone at your house is feeling better now. Hope the questions help!

    Mary, I'm crossing my fingers that you can figure out what your MC wants! Sometimes that's the hardest part.

    Angela, Congratulations on finishing up your YA! Have fun with your evil fairy tale :) Thanks for the wishes for the second half!

    ReplyDelete