Pages

Monday, March 30, 2009

Art Day: Finding Inspiration

DH and I went to the Whitney museum this weekend. It got me thinking about inspiration and where we find it as artists. I'm not talking about reference materials, but real inspiration, the kind of thing that sparks the creative muse in you.

Where do you find your inspiration?

This weekend I found it in the works of Stuart Davis, Edward Hopper, Roy Lichtenstein, Jasper Johns, and many other artists. I used to work at MOMA, and while I don't miss my old job, I do miss seeing art every day.

Art isn't the only thing that inspires me. I can be inspired by a favorite song or a new melody, a book, movie, or TV show. Sunsets and beaches can be just as provocative as a wacky banana sticker, while comfort food and the smell of a rain-soaked lawn can jump-start pictures in my mind.

When we have big projects or deadlines, it seems like the best thing to do is lock ourselves in a room and work, work, work. However, a little inspiration here and there can make those projects better and get them finished faster. It also helps keep the evil inner editor at bay.

What are you waiting for? Go find some inspiration so you can get back to work :)

What inspires you?

3 comments:

  1. I don't know what inspires me- sometimes just words that are interesting paired up. I get my best ideas when I'm "tuning out" of something boring.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm in desperate need of some inspiration right now. I just wrote a picture book, but what I want to write is another MG novel. I just need that idea to hit me. Kind of like a brick, in the side of the head, I guess.

    Great post!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Lily, words and tuning out can be really inspiring. Thanks for the reminder.

    Rena, I hope you can find your inspiration, without the brick to the head.

    ReplyDelete