Pages

Tuesday, October 14, 2008

painting of Bee (Ruby) part 1

I started the painting of Bee (short for Ruby), the MC in my NaNoWriMo novel. This is a different process from the one I used for Sheila, the zombie cheerleader. This time I did a pencil sketch, then used black paint to re-sketch over the pencil lines, changing things that didn’t work and adding in the trees in the background.



I don’t usually paint people like this, they’re either kids and parents in picture books, or they are abstract figures. All-in-all, I’m liking the way it looks so far. Bee seems a little younger than YA, but at least she doesn’t look like she’s five. What do you think?

The next step is color. I’m going to use thin washes / glazes of acrylic to start, then who knows what will happen. ;)

Happy Tuesday everyone!

10 comments:

  1. I think she looks YA. The expression on her face and the way her hair hangs makes me think of a YA somewhere 13-16.

    Cool picture!

    Christy

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'd peg her YA age too. Something about the cut of her hair and the bridge of her nose.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanks Christy and Jacqui! It's good to know she looks YA age too - phew!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I agree...she looks like a brooding teenager to me...the drawing alone makes me curious about her story...

    Good luck with her in November...

    ReplyDelete
  5. I agree, she looks like she could be in the 13-16 age range. I like the bees, too. Looking forward to the color version.

    ReplyDelete
  6. She reminds me of my daughter, who is 17. Very cool pic!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Thanks Brenda, Adrienne, and Rena! The reassurance on her age is really great. I'm working on the color now.

    Thanks for the luck too Brenda!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Ditto ditto ditto. I like how she's almost hiding behind her hair. Makes me curious to know more about her.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Love her! Thanks for sharing your process with us!
    Bee looks like something is on her mind...

    ReplyDelete
  10. Thanks Carrie! It's nice to hear that the painting makes you curious about Bee.

    Thanks Kelly! Bee does have something on her mind ;)

    ReplyDelete